- Can't write off Federer just yet
July 6, 2013
The challenge of resurrecting his invincibility is Federer's true test.
- Roger will never be as consistent again: Murray
June 29, 2013
The British No 1 feels that the 2012 champion's consistency and domination will never be matched.
- Lebron, born again and again
June 29, 2013
He may lack the grace of a Michael Jordan, but the lumbering LeBron James is a champion of the people.
- In This Section
- Entire Website
From the Times Of India
- MOST POPULAR
He said, she said, we heard. . .
"If the sword breaks, attack with the hands. If they cut off your hands, push the enemy with your shoulders, even with your teeth, "
- F1 Championship runner-up Fernando Alonso.
"I DID EVERYTHING. I FINISHED MY CAREER THE WAY I WANTED TO, "
- Michael Phelps after 18 Olympic gold medals.
"I hope that this medal inspires the kids at home to put down guns and knives and pick up a pair of trainers instead, "
- Erick Barrondo, Guatemala's first-ever Olympic medal winner
"I'M NOW A LEGEND. I'M ALSO THE GREATEST ATHLETE TO LIVE"
- Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt after retaining his 100 and 200 metre titles.
"Bolt was good but Rudisha was magnificent - it was the performance of the Games, not just track and field, "
- London 2012 head Sebastian Coe about Kenyan David Rudisha's world record win in the 800 metres.
"I AM MORE WORRIED ABOUT BEING A GOOD PERSON THAN BEING THE BEST FOOTBALL PLAYER IN THE WORLD. WHEN ALL THIS IS OVER, WHAT ARE YOU LEFT WITH?"
- Barcelona and Argentina forward Lionel Messi .
"We're talking about a great generation of footballers. This is a great era for Spanish football"
- Spain coach Vicente del Bosque after his team won the European championship.
"I'M SURE HE'S SMILING FROM UP THERE THAT SOMEONE HAS FINALLY MANAGED TO DO IT FROM BRITAIN. I JUST HOPE I CAN SEE ANOTHER BRITISH PLAYER IN MY LIFETIME WIN A GRAND SLAM, "
- Andy Murray after becoming the first British man since Fred Perry in 1936 to win the US Open.
"HE'S GOT ALL THE TALENT IN THE WORLD TO DO WHAT HE'S DOING. AND THIS IS THE WAY THAT RORY CAN PLAY, "
- Tiger Woods about Rory McIlroy after the Northern Irishman won the PGA Championship by eight shots.
"I never got this far in my dreams, "
- Bubba Watson after winning the Masters in a dramatic playoff with Louis Oosthuizen.
"I really think champions are defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall. I have fallen several times. Each time I just get up and I dust myself off and I pray and I'm able to do better, "
- Serena Williams after coming back from a life-threatening illness to win the Wimbledon, Olympic and US Open titles.
"This isn't about bragging rights. This is a lot bigger. This is about a team, an organisation being named world champions, "
- New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning after winning his 2nd Super Bowl, 1 more than his older brother Peyton.
"We're all so proud of LeBron. When you get to know LeBron, you don't understand why he was such a lightning rod for the criticism, "
- Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra.
"It is our responsibility to ensure player safety and uphold the integrity of our game. . . this conduct will not be tolerated, "
- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after announcing a range of penalties following revelations of the New Orleans Saints cashfor-hits scheme.
"IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME"
-Miami Heat forward LeBron James after winning his first NBA title.
"It sounds cheesy, but your whole life is for this and the reason I got into cycling as a kid was today, "
- Bradley Wiggins after becoming the first Briton to win the Tour de France.
"THERE COMES A POINT IN EVERY MAN'S LIFE WHEN HE HAS TO SAY, 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. 'FOR ME, THAT TIME IS NOW, "
- Lance Armstrong, announcing he would not contest the doping charges against him and his former team.
"The evidence shows beyond any doubt that the US Postal Service Pro Cycling Team ran the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme that sport has ever seen, "
- statement from U. S. Anti-Doping Agency chief executive Travis Tygart.
"People were not even mentioning us when they were talking about the championship, but I think the most important thing was that we always kept believing, "
- Sebastian Vettel after winning his third successive Formula One world title at age 25.
"It's amazing what a group of guys who play like a team can accomplish. I'm numb that we have won two World Series in the last three years, "
- San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy after the Giants swept the Detroit Tigers 4-0 to win the Fall Classic.
"IF YOU DIE, YOU DIE;YOU DON'T SEE WHICH IS A BETTER WAY TO DIE, "
- MS Dhoni, when asked if a 4-0 defeat in Australia was worse than the one suffered in England
"WHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD DO YOU GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO BASICALLY KILL SOMEONE WITH TWO BOUNCERS AN OVER? OR TRY, LEGALLY, "
- South African fast bowler Dale Steyn.
"CRICKET IS NOT LIKE A GOVERNMENT JOB WHERE RETIREMENT AGE IS FIXED AT 60. A CRICKETER CAN RETIRE AT 30 OR 60;IT'S UP TO THE PLAYER"
- India's evergreen batsman Virender Sehwag.
Register for Full Access to the Crest Edition
Don't have a Facebook Account? Sign up for Times Crest here.
Subscribe to The Times of India Crest Edition and stay connected with our unequalled network of correspondents, analysts, writers and editors to figure the changes bubbling below the surface of society.